Normacol Plus is a treatment that helps to provide relief for the effects of constipation. This treatment works thanks to the active ingredients Sterculia and Frangula bark that are contained in the granules.
Sterculia is a vegetable gum from the karaya tree that works as a laxative to help ease constipation. Frangula bark comes from the alder buckthorn and also works as a laxative.
- The usual dose for adults and the elderly is 1 to 2 sachets, or 1 to 2 heaped 5ml spoonfuls, taken once or twice a day after meals.
- Do nottake Normacol Plus if you are lying down or just before you go to bed.
- Normacol Plus can be used in children aged between 6 to 12 years but only as directed by a doctor.
If Normacol Plus does not work after you have taken it for 4 days, do not take anymore, and see your doctor or pharmacist.
- To take Normacol Plus, put the dry granules on your tongue from the sachet, spoon or your hand, or just take a few at a time if that is easier.
- Alternatively you can sprinkle Normacol Plus onto soft food such as yoghurt.
- Swallow the granules with plenty of water or a cool drink, so that the oesophagus (gullet) does not become blocked. Never chew or crush the granules.
If you take more Normacol Plus than you should and do not have bowel movements, see your doctor.
If you forget to take Normacol Plus, just take the next normal dose at the usual time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
Do not take Normacol Plus if your doctor has told you that you have:
- A blockage in your intestine (gut)
- Total loss of muscle tone in the colon
- Faecal impaction.
- Allergy to any of the ingredients
Talk to your doctor before taking Normacol if:
- You are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant
- You are breast-feeding
- You have ulcerative colitis (an inflammatory disease of the bowel which can cause abdominal pain and bloody diarrhoea)
As with all laxatives, Normacol Plus should not be taken every day for long periods. If you need laxatives every day, you should see your doctor.
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product.
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Normacol Plus should be taken after meals, always drink plenty of water or soft drinks.
Do not take Normacol Plus if you are pregnant or breastfeeding unless your doctor has told you to do so.
The active substances are sterculia and frangula. The granules contain 62% w/w sterculia and 8% w/w frangula.
The other ingredients are sodium bicarbonate, sucrose, talc, paraffin wax, peppermint flavour and the colours E110, E127 and E132